Sunday, September 7, 2014

Teachers’ Day 



        Every year, 5th September, is celebrated as ‘Teachers’ Day’ in India. It coincide with the birthday of Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, Ex-Vice President of India, who insisted to identify himself as teacher. The other dignitary, Dr. Abdul Kalam, Ex-President of India, also liked to identify him as teacher.

        The place of teacher, respectfully addressed as ‘Guru’, is important in the life of people here in India, particularly among Hindus. They do not miss to chant,

‘GURUR BRAHMA, GURUR VISHNU, GURUR DEVO MAHESHWARA,
GURU SHAKSHAT PARAM BRAHMA, TASMAI SHRI GURVE NAMAH,

very frequently. In this Sanskrit Shloka, Guru is described as the God in every form and therefore, bowing down to Guru means bowing down to entire eternity.

        I do not intend to go in detail about the history of Guru tradition, nor do I intend to interpret the real meaning of Guru. I may do so later if chance occurs. My intention is limited to remember my Gurus who had contributed in developing me as an individual.When I was studying in primary school in my village, I was fortunate to have benefit of personal attention of my teachers, different persons in different standards, there. Not only inside school and classes, but outside school also they were following what I do and how I behave. Personal tution was not the practice in those days; still some of them called us to their house and helped us a lot in various subjects we were supposed to learn. They never expected any consideration for this extra service. Their sole objective was to see that we learn well and fully, what we are supposed to learn and make sound base for further studies. I studied seven year in this village school and completed 7th standard.
        As there was no high school near our village I was compelled to get enrolled in 8th standard in a high school in nearby city to continue further studies. Means of travelling were limited. I had to start from home between 7-7-30 in the morning, catch the train, wander from 9 to 11 am and then again from 5 to 7 pm (as there was no train available in between) and return home by 8-30 or so. For a boy (better use the word child) of 11-12 years, this was too much and there were all chances of my becoming a spoiled child. I had to bear this situation just for one academic year, thanks to some elders who managed to open a school near my village. This development completely changed my career.

        The school was new, there were only two classes, viz. 8th and 9th. There were only 50-60 students in all. But the teachers, particularly the Principal and his wife who was also the teacher, were Gurus in real meaning of the word. This couple, not only taught us what we were supposed to learn as per syllabus, but also much more about ethics, culture etc. I stayed in this school for 3 years. Number of students increased year by year, and being first students I and a few of my friends remained in front row in all the activities. This couple encouraged for writing, take part in school dramas and many other activities. They took keen interest in me, my studies and other activities. If I go on writing about their contribution in my career, I may go on and on to tens of pages, which I do not intend to do today.

        When I left the school, they continued communication with me and I am proud to say that even today I get their blessings once or twice in a year by a mail. I live far away from them. He died last year at the age of about 90+. I was fortunate to meet him few months before he left this world.

        I did not attend college for my graduation as I did it as an external student. So there was no chance to know any teacher in college personally. However, when I was doing my post-graduation in Law, I was impressed by one of the professors, who also was principal of the college. He used to teach us in unique style.  Instead of class room style, we used to sit on chairs like we do while hanging out with friends in a restaurant or elsewhere. And over a cup of tea the topics were discussed.

        I have not mentioned names here, because the readers do not know them and I wish to keep them in my heart forever as Gurus.


No comments:

Post a Comment